Is Peanut Butter Still Safe for Dogs?

Does your pup love peanut butter? If you answered yes, you are just one of many dog owners who use the popular nutty spread as a tasty treat, chew toy stuffing or a clever medication disguise for your furry friend.

The good news? Most peanut and other nut butters are perfectly safe for your dog (in moderation, of course).

The not-so-good news? According to The Preventive Vet, a few brands, including Nuts ‘N More and Krush Nutrition, are actually sweetening their products with xylitol, a natural sweetener that is highly toxic to our canine companions.

Xylitol is used as a sugar substitute in a wide variety of products, including gum, candy, toothpaste and nasal spray. While the substance is perfectly safe for human consumption, even a small amount of xylitol can cause a rapid drop in blood sugar and liver failure in dogs.

Additional symptoms of xylitol ingestion may include weakness, vomiting and seizures. Treatment typically involves hospitalization, blood sugar monitoring, glucose administration and intravenous (IV) fluids.

If you suspect your dog has ingested xylitol, please seek veterinary care immediately.

To prevent xylitol ingestion, be sure to check all product labels and keep items containing xylitol safely out of your dog’s reach.

Want more pet poison prevention tips? Contact our office to speak to a veterinarian or check out the infographic above!

Blog Category: